Sunday, December 16, 2012

stories and such

Have a new habit. Each night, when the kids go to bed, I lie with D and tell the boys stories. (Poor L misses out, being in her own room, but she is always so tired she goes to sleep right after being tucked in.) I tell the boys stories from the Old Testament (Joshua and the walls of Jericho; Moses and the plagues; David and Goliath; Hannah and Samuel; etc, etc, etc), miracles of Jesus from the New Testament, and life stories of favorite saints. They are soaking up the stories, and I'm sorry I waited so long to start. But now, a month or so into this new routine, I am running out of remembered stories and actually having to research for something new! Oh well. I guess I learn too this way. And it is so nice to revisit some that I have forgotten. The kids are learning some basics of theology, told in story format. One of my all time favorite stories is about one of my favorite saints: St. Athanasius the Great and the First Council of Nicaea. Maybe we will do that one tonight. Which reminds me that I want to reread Father Schmemann The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy. Love that book!

The two youngest muncheroos were a real handful in Liturgy today. L was being naughty and D wanted to be held the whole time. He gets so jealous if one of the other kids is sitting with me and he pulls their hair and bites and screams! Yep. Terrible twos - here we come! We're working on it. We had his 18 month language screen the other day, and it appears that his oral communication is at the 9-12 month level, which is what I expected. He will be seeing a SLP once per month starting in January, until he gets old enough for proper week-to-week therapy. I am thinking maybe he will catch up on his own, though, before then. I am not worried about him. Just wanted the assessment in case; better to get him on the waitlist (or on the caseload) of a SLP now, than to try to get him help when he is desperate later.

Can't find the dog's ball anywhere! I bought her an inside ball a few days ago and she had it for 10 minutes in one room and it disappeared! We have looked everywhere! Maybe she took it outside and buried it. I guess I should have bought two! A says I buy two of everything. Not true, but in this case it would have been a good idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment