Friday, January 25, 2013

pass me another sweater

Apparently this is the coldest winter in 17 years, and the winter with the most snow ever on record for our city! Knowing that little tidbit of information gives me hope that maybe next year won't be quite so long or white. Although, like today, it is so often beautiful and sunny that I rarely feel discontented.

L was back at school today, after missing yesterday due to the start of a cold, and visited with Mrs. N. When I picked her up, Mrs. Y came out and told me how proud everyone was of L, who chatted quite freely with Mrs. N and did well during the session. L's pronunciation is so retarded yet, but she is getting quite comfortable with school, the teachers, and her classmates - and is starting to shine. I am very proud of her.

M came home at lunch and was apologizing to me for misspelling one word on his test - of grade THREE words! I told him I was very proud of him, and it only matters that he tries his best. He has had perfect scores until now, and he gets so disappointed when he messes up or "fails". I told him you only fail when you give up. So, don't give up. Try and try again. So easy to tell a child, and so hard to model!

I was thrilled to have a (forced) visit with M yesterday, when she and L just showed up and walked in the door. I hate that! I like to be warned when someone is coming over. Thank goodness my kitchen was mostly clean and the living room had recently been tidied! Although, I know she doesn't much care about any of that anyway. I have seen her house, and it looks about the same as mine! That's how it is when you have kids! Anyway, they walked in, and we sat and visited for over an hour; it was so nice, I suggested we make it a weekly date. It is so hard for me to open up to new friends. If there is a "click", then it can happen quite quickly, but I am also a little gun-shy. Don't want to assume or presume too much. Anyway, it has been a year and a half, and I really like both her and S. A and I have talked about having them over for a BBQ - maybe that should wait till the snow melts a little!! Of course, P was very happy about the unplanned play date with L!

Mailed some parcels out today. Cleaned the house. That's about it. I got tickets for the family (minus D) to go to the local Firefighters Variety Magic Show in early February. That should be super fun. Not sure what A will think about the idea.

D and I have had three bad nights in a row. I fear more ear infection, but the pediatrician was not in today, so it will have to wait till Monday to be checked. A comes home tomorrow morning.

And that's Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment