Sunday, April 15, 2012

a new day has dawned

It amazes me that even with all the struggle on Pascha night - what with getting four kids ready and out the door in the middle of the night, complete with blankets and pillows, and dressed in their finery; getting those same four kids through two or three hours of services, when I am tired; and getting up early the next morning to take the puppy out to pee and feed her and give her some love - that it is still my favorite night of the year.

I love the anticipation in the air when we arrive at the church! I love the tangible joy in the air, and on the faces of those present! I love the hymns; they always stay in my head for at least a week, and are enjoyed over and over! I love St. John Chrysostom's Paschal homily that is read every year - so much hope, so much love, so much acceptance. You see and hear God in it. No wonder St. John was called "golden-mouthed"! I love sweet Communion with my risen Christ! I love the song to Mary - "rejoice, your Son is risen from his three days in the tomb"!  I can only imagine her sorrow and her joy as a mother during Christ's crucifixion and resurrection!

And, waking to "Bright Week" . . . well, it really is bright! A new day has dawned, and Christ is risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment